Thursday, September 3, 2009

A trickle of income

Week four my first check from Unemployment - the one I had been waiting to get for some time - was finally deposited. It came in on Monday, Aug. 24. My second check came in on what appears to be the normal day, Tuesday, Aug. 25.

That was also the week that my COBRA finally kicked in and I was able to refill my prescriptions, which was a huge relief.

But, on the downside, there still doesn't seem to be much job-wise out there in my areas of expertise. And I'm really not looking to end up in a desperation job right now. I'd rather wait and find something suitable rather than going back to being a computer technician or something equally un-fun.

When you get laid off, a lot of people try to be helpful by giving you advice and sending you every job opening they come across - whether it's suitable or not.

I'm open to hearing new things, but I also have a pretty solid plan of my own as to what I will do when something right comes my way. But I try to remember that my friends are just trying to be helpful when the redundant advice starts to weigh me down.

Some of the job openings they've sent me have been useful too. And I don't want to discourage it per se, but let's just say I'd rather snort salt than apply for a job covering the coal and oil industries for a paper in Houston. No offense.

Oddly enough, beyond the daily grind of hunting around the Web for suitable job openings, the biggest morale boost is usually just spending time with friends. Having an upcoming lunch or dinner date with a relative or buddy gives me something to look forward to, other than the hope I'll find a good job soon.

So, at the end of week five, I'm looking forward to seeing my father, aunt and uncle, among other relatives, who are all descending on Northern New Mexico for Bean Day, a festival in the town they grew up in, Wagon Mound.

It should be some much-needed fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment