Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fun with snakes

One of the things about being laid off on the last day of a month is that whether they planned it that way or not, your former employer is off the hook for its part of your health insurance for the following month.

Our HR person to her credit has been trying to push forward my COBRA coverage as best she can. But be that as it may, and even though I filled out the paperwork the day I got it and sent it right back with a check, I'm still not covered.

Fortunately I'm not sick right now, but my prescriptions need refilling.

So I went to Smith's last night after calling them in, hoping that after a week and a half or so that the coverage had kicked in.

The result: CLAIM DENIED.

The debate becomes whether to pay what will probably be somewhere around $300 for out of pocket drug costs, or to just try to go without until the coverage kicks in.

The thought of having to fight with Blue Cross Blue Shield to get my money back, especially when I'm still trying to get a payment out of unemployment, is not one I'm particularly keen on.

So for better or worse, the best option at this point seems to be to just let myself run out of some of my meds, unfortuantely including the asthma ones, in a couple days and keep my fingers crossed for the COBRA to start working soon.

My pharmacist said he'd call them for me to harass them, and he's a good guy, so I'm hoping that with his help something will work out before I get to the serious wheezing.

And so the saga continues...

1 comment:

  1. Someone certainly needs to be doing a lot of harassing on this issue! It's been a while since I was involved with HR issues, but I believe you should be reimbursed for any out-of-pocket expenses for meds while you are waiting for COBRA to kick in.

    Email Mandy -- she's in the thick of those sort of things these days.


    Much love,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete